Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Release Day Review: Blood and Bullets by James R. Tuck

Blood & Bullets Mech.inddTitle:  Blood and Bullets

Author:  James R. Tuck

Genre:  Urban Fantasy

Publisher:  Kensington

Publication Date:  February 7, 2012

Series/Standalone:  Book 1 in the Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter series

Cover Artist: Gene Mollica

Who/What/Why/Where/How:  Author sent me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

 



Book Blurb:
He lives to kill monsters.  He keeps his city safe.  And his silver hollow-points and back-from-the-dead abilities help him take out any kind of supernatural threat.  But now an immortal evil has this bad-ass bounty hunter dead in its sights…

Ever since a monster murdered his family, Deacon Chalk hunts any creature that preys on the innocent.  So when a pretty vampire girl “hires” him to eliminate a fellow slayer, Deacon goes to warn him—and barely escapes a vampire ambush.  Now he’s got a way-inexperienced newbie hunter to protect and everything from bloodsuckers to cursed immortals on his trail.  There’s also a malevolent force controlling the living and the undead, hellbent on turning Deacon’s greatest loss into the one weapon that could destroy him…

 

Review:
This review was hard for me to write because I really enjoyed the story and I wanted to blab all about it but, for obvious reasons I won’t.  So I’ll start by saying that I am really loving me some Deacon Chalk.  The man is a bad ass, loyal to those closest to him, fierce yet kind and totally hot, in a scary and rugged way.  James Tuck has created a character that has gone through hell and back and carries that burden like a backpack.  No matter how heavy that burden is, he still manages to go out every day (or night) and kill off the scary monsters that go bump in the night.  Believe me when I say these things are friggin’ scary.  He’s also created an awesome cast of secondary characters.  They range from awkward and geeky to so ruthless they’ll backhand you if you so much as give them side eye.  The villains are dastardly and evil which is just how I like them.

James does a great job of world building.  You get a pretty clear vision of what his Atlanta, the places he hangs out at, kicks ass at and visits are like.  I thought the mythology he created with regard to his vamps, some secondary characters and background info was unique and interesting.  And OMG I love it when scenes involve Deacon’s car.  What can I say?  I like muscle cars.  I also loved all the music he mentions during the story.  It gives you a better feel for Deacon and sets the tone for certain parts of the story.

The only negative thing I can say is that the writing was a little rough around the edges.  That said, it wasn’t so rough that it distracted me from enjoying the book.  So if you’re the type of reader that likes your Urban Fantasy on the darker, grittier and slightly bloodier side you definitely need to give Blood and Bullets a try.

 

Favorite Lines / Scenes:
In my world, nights that started strange usually crash landed in the town of Fucked-Upville before they were said and done.  -Location 86


It turns into blood-a-palooza when you go to stake the undead sons of bitches.  Seriously, I usually wear a raincoat.  -Location 92


Rob Zombie was good fighting music.  -Location 2885  (Side note:  Yes, yes he is.)

 

Rating:
nnir_4_cups
Still experiencing jitters

 

Series Info:
That Thing at the Zoo – Book 0.5
Blood and Bullets – Book 1
Spider’s Lullaby – Book 1.5 (Summer 2012)
Blood and Silver – Book 2 (August 2012)

 

Author Info:
Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads

 

Author Bio:

James R. Tuck James is a former bouncer and has been a professional tattoo artist for over 15 years.  His tattoo work has been published in national tattoo magazines and he owns Family Tradition Tattoo in Marietta, Ga.  He lives near there with a wonderful wife, three wonderful children, and six dogs of varying degrees of wonderfulness.




 

 


Also Reviewed By
:

Amberkatze’s Book Blog
My Bookish Ways

nnir_signatures_01

9 comments:

Rain Maiden said...

I feel I read so many books by female authors that it's refreshing to read something a bit more ...put down your fairy wands while I get out my bazooka. Great review, I look forward to this one.

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

@Jen - It's definitely refreshing. In a balls to wall sort of way. ;-)

Rain Maiden said...

Bring on the balls !

Jess (Gone with the Words) said...

I don't know of many UF series featuring a male lead, so that's cool! Thanks for the review, Jen! :D

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

@Jen - LMFAO!

@Jess - You've very welcome. Thanks for stopping by to check it out. =)

Jenners said...

Sounds like a total escapist read!

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

@Jenners - It definitely is.

Smash Attack! said...

This sounds wicked fun!

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

@Smash - Wicked indeed my friend.

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila